You are currently browsing the monthly archive for February 2010.
Had a little excitement this morning while feeding.
Going thru’ a gate with the team, while taking the horses the last little bit of the bale I had unrolled for the cattle, I have been trying to talk the team thru’ without taking a hold of the lines and just using my voice. They are getting better all the time and I walk alongside and holler “whoa” if it looks like it isn’t going to work or they start to get off course.
Last couple days they have worked real good and just act like an old broke team should. Today as we went thru’ there were a lot of horses right there and the team had to walk out on some ice and break thru. Which was fine, but they pulled up short so I’d have to speak to them again to “get up”. Then I’d have to stop them as they were a little nervous and then I’d speak to them again so we were going about it in fits and jerks and I really hated to leave the gate and let a bunch of loose horses out. The last time I said whoa, they ignored me and just kept going, headed for the other side of the corral and the open gate! I went on the run across the ice and swung the gate behind me all at the same time and just got them headed off and stopped before they hit the other fence.
Here’s some pictures to help see where we went.
Isn’t it odd how, oh I don’t know, maybe odd is the right word, that we are? A while back when I saw it was going to warm up in the low 2o’s I was pretty excited and happy. Now I see it’s going to get up to 22 or 23 today for a high and I am disappointed. Never satisfied, are we?
Oh well, it will be back up in the 30’s again tomorrow and then they are saying 40’s.
I don’t care what Missy say’s, talking about the weather, this time of the year, is about as exciting as it gets around here! 😛
That and calving, near calving or “Oh why in the hell did we turn the bulls in so early last spring” comments I hear from a few.
It’s been warm enough that it has melted enough snow and ice to try and run some water.
Interesting thing going on over to the local village. The powers that be (feds) decided to replace the bridge across Red Owl creek. This bridge is used daily by lots of traffic. A few years ago they put one of those rubber lines across the road that counts traffic and there was an average of 110 vehicles use that road daily! Amazing for our sleepy little village.
So federal mandates said the bridge had to be redone. Last fall they came in and dropped a small culvert or two in the creek and covered it with dirt for a detour, just up stream from the bridge. Supposedly they would start on the new beridge the 1st of March. Guess what? Yeah, snow, ice and not a very handy time to work on a bridge, right now. The people who live in the village are a little peeved and can’t understand why they didn’t get this done last fall or summer or even wait and do it this summer. There is no way the small culvert or culverts will handle the flow of water that is about to start coming down the creek. The “experts” (it is to laugh! Ha!) claim the excess will flow out and north of the creek in a shallow wide drainage. The problem with that plan is, there is a tiny culvert where the water is supposed to go under the road, and the end of that culvert has been mashed down over the years from different incidents. The past couple springs when we’ve had quite a little spring run off, the unobstructed creek and that small culvert could barely handle the flow. And now we have ice and snow packed deep and ready for the spring flood which looks to be much more than the past few years. Hmmm……
Hope them folks have good flood insurance!
Maybe those in power who say it will work should move in alongside this creek until the work is done?
Had a guy come out and got my pellet stove to working. I am not too sure why them type of people are better at these things than I am other than the fact I am about as mechanical as a stick!
Started the tractor and checked out the new loader pump. Wow! I’d forgot my loader could work that fast and effortlessly! Went up the creek and dug some wood out for the kids and dug some bales out and hauled a few home. Got a little water running in the creek. Cool! Better get my kayak ready! 🙂
Now I need to take the grapple fork off and clean out the back of the shed and get it ready for Chances calving cows. They are supposed to start the 15 of March. Ours will go sometime after the 1st of April. Still plenty early. Especially with the winter we’ve had, but if it would stay like this for a couple weeks we’d be more brown than white, seems like. Ahhhh, I can always hope!
I just got this in an email from a friend. Looks pretty interesting to me
This is pretty interesting! But it should be rather simple with anyone having an open mind. Remember studying the three branches of government when we were in grammar school?
It’s time for the Republicans to clear the air about Obama ‘inheriting’ the current economy from Geo. W. Bush. The Republicans seem to be afraid to challenge Obama. I don’t know why. Please look at the information below for a full explanation of “Inherited”. And remember: If it weren’t for the United States military, there’d be NO United States of America.
Here’s the scoop on what Obama inherited.
I’m Sick of “Inherited”
The Washington Post babbled again today about Obama “inheriting a huge deficit from Bush.” Amazingly enough, a lot of educated people swallow this nonsense without even thinking about it.
So once more, I’ll try giving a short civics lesson. This is what we learned in high school/college, if we were paying attention and did our homework.
Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress, and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party. They controlled the budget process for FY 2008 and FY 2009, as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011. That’s three years!!
In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush, somewhat belatedly, got tough on spending increases. For FY 2009, though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office.
At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets. And where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete FY 2009.
Let’s remember what the deficits looked like during that period:
If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, the Democrats in Congress took control of the spending, and that includes Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets. If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.
In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is “I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th.”
WAKE UP AMERICA, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.
I went in and got my teeth cleaned and a temporary cap put on a tooth. Not that much fun. Cost too much. But hey, being able to eat is a good thing, I guess.
Same old. Been warming up to about 22 during the day and somewhat coolish at night. 😉
Team seemed to work fine after a couple days off. I got some new hay in and it sure is nice. The guy told me there might be a little that was a bit brown as he had a hard time getting it up right with all the moisture last summer, but so far it is bright and green. One thing that sure is disheartening is when you roll out a bale you paid good money for or invested a lot of time work and effort into and having it not be green and bright but moldy musty or less than you’d expect. So far these are all good. There is so many small glaciers and frozen cow pies, it is getting hard to find a spot to feed that is clean. Got the team to where they will just ease along over them frozen cow bumps pretty well. 🙂
Bob goes out with me to feed, but usually stays at the horse barn or the shed. He is getting to where he follows the big dogs a little farther out all the time, which isn’t necessarily a good thing! I need to get my kennel fixed up.
Going in for a dental appointment tomorrow.
Here’s Bob on Sunday when we were sledding with Gabe and Lige.
I got home about 1:30 this afternoon. I had went to St Martin’s the old convent/school that our diocese bought from the Sisters. We had a great weekend discussing ow we can make our spiritual and parish life better, stronger and better each out to those in need. I wasn’t looking forward to it but went because Fr Marcin asked me to and I am really glad I did. Tired, but a good tired.
If you see me in person, ask me about it!
Saw this on another blog ( http://delftsman.mu.nu/) and agree 100 % so decided I needed to put it on here.
Hey, DHS, Here I am !
It seems that The Department of Homeland Security is monitoring social websites in an effort to root out possible “domestic terrorists”.. at least as Janet Napolitano defines them.
In the interest of helping her be more efficient and all encompassing, I hereby state some of MY views for the public record (maybe I’ll get the DHS equivalent of a fatwā ?):
1. I am a fervent believer in the 2nd. Amendment. I believe that all citizens except convicted felons have the right to carry a gun, both open and concealed. I further believe that we should NOT have to obtain a permit to do so. I do not believe that there should be registration lists of privately owned guns. I believe that private citizens should be allowed to own machine guns and so-called “assault” weapons. (although, I, for one, could never be afford to shot one on any regular type basis…)
2. I believe that ObamaCare is a sham; it is an attempt by the government to make it’s citizens dependent on the government. It is a naked Socialist power grab.
3. I believe that President Obama IS a Socialist. I believe that he is a clear and present danger to the Republic.
4. I believe the Patriot Act should be allowed to expire; it gives too much power to the government, no matter who is president, or which Party holds a majority.
5. I believe in individual responsibility, and believe that government has accrued too much power unto itself over our lives.
6. I believe that the income tax system the government currently employs is unfair and regressive. I believe that the current system (a progressive income tax) stems from a Socialist belief system and is a great factor in limiting our growth potential as a nation.
7. I believe that the majority of Polititcians, in both Houses, and of BOTH parties are complicit in corruption. At the very least most of them are not adhering to our Founder’s principles, or the Constitution.
8. I believe in States Rights over Federalism.
9. I believe that higher education has been suborned by Socialists, and that it has become more of an indoctrination system rather than an education system.
10. I believe that “Political Correctness” is an abomination that is slowly eating away at the foundations of the Republic.
11. I believe that Affirmative Action is an idea that may have been needed at one time, but whose time is past. As currently employed, it amounts to reverse racism.
12. I believe in the smallest amount of government needed to maintain the Republic. I believe the current government (BOTH Parties) is attempting to un-Constitutionally usurp more power to itself than the Founders ever wished it to have.
13, I believe that the U.N. is an organization run BY, and FOR dictators. I believe that the ultimate end agenda of the U.N. is to institute a one-world government.
14. I believe that abortion is MURDER. I believe that Planned Parenthood is, at it’s core, a eugenics and a racist movement. They do NOT believe in “Choice”, they believe in abortion murder.
15. I believe the “Progressive” movement is anti-family and anti-American. It is Socialism by slow stages. I believe Socialism/Communism is one of the greatest evils ever unleashed on this planet.
16. I am a gun-owning hick. I am unashamedly patriotic. I am VERY conservative in my fiscal and moderately conservative in my social views.
17. I believe that ILLEGAL immigration is corrupting our Republic. I further believe that politicians on both sides of the aisle are pandering to ILLEGAL immigrants in a self serving interest of garnering votes. I believe that the Democrats are more blatant in this course than the Republicans are, but that Republicans seem not to be interested in stopping the flow (of illegals)either. (NO I am NOT anti-immigration, I AM an immigrant. I believe in LEGAL emigration.)
18. I believe in school vouchers.
Dr. David Barton is more of a historian than a Biblical speaker, but very famous for his knowledge of historical facts as well as Biblical truths.
Dr. David Barton – on Obama
Respect the Office? Yes.
Respect the Man in the Office? No, I am sorry to say.
I have noted that many elected officials, both Democrats and Republicans, called upon America to unite behind Obama.
Well, I want to make it clear to all who will listen that I AM NOT uniting behind Obama!
I will respect the Office which he holds, and I will acknowledge his abilities as an orator and wordsmith and pray for him, BUT that is it.
I have begun today to see what I can do to make sure that he is a one-term President !
Why am I doing this?
It is because:
– I do not share Obama’s vision or value system for America ;
– I do not share his Abortion beliefs;
– I do not share his radical Marxist’s concept of re-distributing wealth;
– I do not share his stated views on raising taxes on those who make $150,000+ (the ceiling has been changed three times since August);
– I do not share his view that America is Arrogant;
– I do not share his view that America is not a Christian Nation;
– I do not share his view that the military should be reduced by 25%;
– I do not share his view of amnesty and giving more to illegals than our American Citizens who need help;
– I do not share his views on homosexuality and his definition of marriage;
– I do not share his views that Radical Islam is our friend and Israel is our enemy who should give up any land;
– I do not share his spiritual beliefs (at least the ones he has made public);
– I do not share his beliefs on how to re-work the healthcare system in America;
– I do not share his Strategic views of the Middle East; and
– I certainly do not share his plan to sit down with terrorist regimes such as Iran.
Bottom line: my America is vastly different from Obama’s, and I have a higher obligation to my Country and my GOD to do what is Right!
For eight years, the Liberals in our Society, led by numerous entertainers who would have no platform and no real credibility but for their celebrity status, have attacked President Bush, his family, and his spiritual beliefs!
They have not moved toward the center in their beliefs and their philosophies, and they never came together nor compromised their personal beliefs for the betterment of our Country !
They have portrayed my America as a land where everything is tolerated except being intolerant!
They have been a vocal and irreverent minority for years!
They have mocked and attacked the very core values so important to the founding and growth of our Country!
They have made every effort to remove the name of GOD or Jesus Christ from our Society!
They have challenged capital punishment, the right to
bear firearms, and the most basic principles of our criminal code!
They have attacked one of the most fundamental of all Freedoms, the right of free speech!
Unite behind Obama? Never!!!
I am sure many of you who read this think that I am going overboard, but I refuse to retreat one more inch in favor of those whom I believe are the embodiment of Evil!
PRESIDENT BUSH made many mistakes during his
Presidency, and I am not sure how history will judge him. However, I believe that he weighed his decisions in light of the long established Judeo-Christian principles of our Founding Fathers!!!
Majority rules in America, and I will honor the concept; however, I will fight with all of my power to be a voice in opposition to Obama and his “goals for America.”
I am going to be a thorn in the side of those who, if left unchecked, will destroy our Country!! Any more compromise is more defeat!
I pray that the results of this election will wake up many who have sat on the sidelines and allowed the Socialist-Marxist anti-GOD crowd to slowly change so much of what has been good in America!
“Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it.” – Thomas Jefferson
GOD bless you and GOD bless our Country!!!
Thanks for your time, be safe. “In GOD We Trust”
“If we ever forget that we’re one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under..” – Ronald Reagan
I WANT THE AMERICA I GREW UP IN, BACK…..
In GOD We Trust………
A friend posted this on RanchingCountry and got permission for me to repost it here. Great stuff!
A good rant by an extension agent- Ron Torrell of Elko.
Agriculture tends to address highly emotional issues, like food safety and animal welfare, with rational responses based on science. I am finding out science generally does not matter to the public and in many cases not to judges involving cases of natural resource management (case in point wild horse and sage grouse issues). Agriculture needs to strike an emotional chord in order to make a difference. It’s time for agriculture to build trust through regular messages that rely on emotion, not just the cold facts.
A large portion of the general public (who by the way are our consumers) have no other connection to agriculture than the media. These people, our customers, have a presence on Social Media networks like blogs, Face book, and Twitter. It is paramount that Agriculturist (YES YOU) utilize these resources to reach out to our customers, the general public, and tell our stories from an emotional stand point. Do not stand back and figure someone else is going to do it for you. Get err done yourself. Do your part. Get on the stick. If you or your children have the ability, get geared up with your social media skills then get to work. Everyone needs to get involved. It is paramount to our future. If you do not have these skills get the word out in other ways you feel comfortable with. Quit talking and complaining about the disconnect the general public has with agriculture and do something about it. Do your part and get involved. Do not think that just because you pay your dues to an agriculture association of your choice that you are doing your part.
I for one am sick and tired of agriculture getting falsely kicked around. At the end of the great depression food and fiber production (agriculture) was held to the highest. Do you figure that had something to do with a hungry yet tough society versus a spoiled, soft and well fed one?